David Ey is a Partner in the National Employment Relations team of Piper Alderman.
David is a Partner in the National Employment Relations team.
His practice covers all areas of employment law, industrial relations, work health and safety and discrimination law extending from strategic and defensive advice through to the resolution of litigation and disputes including representation in the Fair Work Commission. He also provides advice before important decisions are made, such as issues relating to contracts, enterprise bargaining, redundancies, termination of employment, outsourcing and sale of business.
David has extensive experience in workers compensation law, particularly in cases where both compensation and industrial issues arise.
He has advised and represented many employers in work health and safety matters including the defence of prosecutions.
In addition to advising schools about employment-related matters, David has extensive experience in advising schools on a range of other matters, such as issues arising between schools and parents under the contract of enrolment, family law issues, duty of care and child protection issues, independent contractor arrangements, and litigation by students or former students in relation to physical or psychological injuries.
David’s long list of accolades and achievements include:
- 2018 Finalist for the AFR Client Choice Awards – ‘Most Client-Focused Lawyer’
- 2016 ‘Adelaide Lawyer of the Year’ for Occupational Health & Safety Law in Best Lawyers® Australia
- 2014 ‘Adelaide Lawyer of the Year’ for Employment Law in Best Lawyers® Australia
- Recognised in Best Lawyers® Australia for Labour & Employment Law and Occupational Health & Safety Law
- Ranking as Preeminent Lawyer for Employment and Leading Lawyer for Workplace Health & Safety in Doyles Guide
- Finalist for Workplace Relations and Employment Team of the Year in 2016 & 2017in the Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards.
In the Legal 500 Asia Pacific legal directory for 2018, David is recommended for Labour and Employment with clients commenting on David as being ‘knowledgeable, approachable and practical’ and ‘very experienced’; and he provides ‘detailed, well-thought-through advice’.
David has been a frequent presenter at School Law seminars run by various associations.
Previously, David was a member of the Council of Governors of Wilderness School and a member of the Board of Association of Independent Schools of South Australia.
Hear David speak at this year’s Legal & Risk Management Framework conference.